Greetings, LI$TNERS. A little forewarning – all but three tracks from this week’s LI$T are from bands that are brand new to me, which is exciting. Let’s dive into the great unknown together.
- “Unkinder (A Tougher Love)” is a pulsating, anthemic, powerful pop gem. It only took one listen before this melody was already repeating itself in my mind.
- Saintseneca hails from Columbus, Ohio, and they write a fun breed of pounding folk. Normally that description would deter me from listening to a band, but their writing is strong enough to give these guys my vote of confidence.
- I love Hospitality. I can’t think of a time that I wouldn’t want to listen to their debut album, and they just released the stunning follow-up LP, “Trouble”, last week. The writing in this album’s sharper, edgier and more experimental. Give the whole thing a go.
- Asaf Avidan is an Israeli singer with what might be one of the most unique voices I’ve ever heard. His (yes, you read that right – those beautiful vocals you’re hearing are coming from a man) song writing’s equally as interesting as his voice, and “Different Pulses” deserves to be heard in full by anyone that claims to enjoy pop music.
- It was recently my girlfriend’s birthday, which puts her in the Aquarius family, and Metronomy just released an anthem perfect for the season. Give “I’m an Aquarius” a listen, and get excited for the new album, out March 10th.
- Dum Dum Girls just released their album “Too True,” and it could be described as a collection of dark, starry, well-written pop songs that recall the 1980s.
- Joshua Boydston, another guy whose taste in music is well respected around here, just introduced me to Hayden James, and I couldn’t be happier that he did. Listen to anything by this artist and just try not to be bobbing your head by the end of the song.
- Morgan Delt writes intricate psychedelic music that will leave you wondering just how much LSD he’s been exposed to in his life to be able to produce music that sounds like this.
- If you haven’t noticed, I typically like to wrap up these LI$Ts with a thought-provoking, lush song to send you out. RY X’s “Vampires” fits that mold perfectly.
That’ll be all for this week. Make sure to check back next Tuesday for another smattering of songs made specifically for your ears’ entertainment.