Colin was in a serious car accident on November 21st. He had 2 surgeries and spent 6 days in the hospital and 10 days in a rehab hospital. He is currently recovering at home and doing well, considering. If all goes well, he should be able to try walking again in mid February.
According to the police report (here), Colin was in the front passenger seat of a northbound Scion xA hatchback in the center lane of Lake Hefner Parkway just south of Britton Road at a little after 2 AM.
The driver of a black 200 GMC Sierra, while travelling at a high rate of speed, struck a disabled 1997 Mercury Mountaineer that was parked on the northbound shoulder. The Mountaineer was pushed into the east roadside grass and caught fire. The Sierra rotated 180 degrees and came to rest facing south in the center lane of the highway. The driver, Jesse Munoz, fled the scene.
The driver of the Scion xA didn’t see the Sierra and struck it with the right front bumper, rotated 180 degrees and came to rest in the inside lane of the highway.
- Driver: Broken right ankle.
- Colin: Shattered right hip socket, broken right thumb, broken left wrist.
- Left rear passenger: Broken right femur and tibia.
- Right rear passenger: Shattered bones on the left side of the skull, broken jaw, lost hearing in the left ear, facial paralysis.
Colin was initially sent to Mercy, but later transferred to the OU Medical Center trauma unit. Everyone else was sent directly to the OU Medical Center.
Here are the 2 KFOR news reports I found:
The drunk driver was Jesse Munoz (courtesy of mugshots.com) and here’s his booking record from the county jail:
He was charged with causing an accident with injury while under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident with injury on January 5, 2016. The court case can be found here.
He also seems to have a long arrest record:
- 03/13/2005: 3 counts, USING A VEHICLE TO FACILITATE THE INTENTIONAL DISCHARGE OF A FIREARM (DRIVE BY SHOOTING) – 7 years suspended sentance
- 01/11/2007: OPERATING MV WITHOUT BEING LICENSED (EXPIRED) – Fined $289.90
- 04/20/2007: POSSESSION OF A CDS (METH) SCHD II – 2 years to run concurrently with Drive By Shooting sentence.
- 03/16/2014: TRAFFICKING IN ILLEGAL DRUGS – METH, POSSESSION OF PROCEEDS IN VIOLATION OF UCDSA – 15 years running concurrently. suspended.
- 11/19/2014: DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED,
OBSTRUCTING AN OFFICER, ATTEMPTING TO ELUDE A POLICE OFFICER – 1 year suspended sentence???
I keep finding myself wondering why is it that a person who pled guilty to trafficking in meth, possession of meth and a drive by shooting isn’t already behind bars!