By: Derek Moore
Greetings once again, LI$TNERS. Weâ€™re only two weeks into 2014, and already the year in music is shaping up nicely. Need proof? Simply follow along.
- Broken Bells is the collaborative effort of production guru Danger Mouse and Shins frontman James Mercer. â€œAfter the Disco,â€ the track featured here, has a sleek mid-tempo disco feel that should whet your sonic appetite nicely.
- St. Vincent is releasing a new album February 25th. â€œBirth in Reverseâ€ is our first taste of said album. I shouldnâ€™t need to do any convincing as to how excited you should be about this album, so I wonâ€™t. Though I would like to point out that it seems David Byrneâ€™s hair might be contagious judging from the press pictures released for this album thus far.
- Max Frost seemed to be largely overlooked in 2013, which is a shame because Low High Low is an excellent, cohesive effort. Give him a try, and see if you donâ€™t find something to love.
- Josh Sallee is a local OKC rapper with talent more than on par with artists of national acclaim. In my opinion, heâ€™s the best weâ€™ve got in the genre. â€œSwitch Livesâ€ is a clear example of evidence supporting my case.
- â€œTake Me to Churchâ€ is easily one of the best songs of 2013. I know thatâ€™s a lofty claim, but I defy you to disagree. I canâ€™t wait to hear what else Hozier has to offer in the future.
- The next two tracks from The Dig and Solander, respectively, are spacey, ethereal gems that will undoubtedly cause you to float above the hubbub of everyday lifeâ€™s demands and provide a few relaxing moments of pensive reflection and recovery.
- Honeylark is another up-and-coming local group that recently released their debut album Heavy. Being the sucker for unique, rich bass guitar tones that I am, I had to include track â€œAfternoonâ€ at my first given opportunity.
- Finally, â€œCome Inside,â€ the opening song off of Magic Trickâ€™s second LP, should provide you with a sense of well-being and/or contentment from its simple yet ornate orchestration.
While writing this piece, there have been approximately ten police cars, a firetruck, an ambulance and a bomb squad truck about 100 feet from my apartment. Iâ€™d say 2014â€™s really starting out with a bang. Assuming the police force has this situation under control, Iâ€™ll be back next week with another fresh batch of tunes for you to enjoy. Happy listening, LI$TNERS.